Fire and Smoke Damage DOs and DON’Ts
A home or business fire is stressful and inconvenient for all who are involved. As a homeowner or business owner, knowing what to do in the case of a fire may be foreign to you. These emergency tips will assist you in taking proper actions until SERVPRO of Tacoma arrives. Please follow these DOs and DON'Ts to help reduce damage and increase the chance of a successful restoration.
- Limit movement in the home or business to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpet
- Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork
- Place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery, and carpet traffic areas
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator completely and prop doors open to help prevent odor
- Wipe soot from chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets, trim, and appliances, then protect these surfaces with a light coating of lubricant
- If heat is off during winter, pour RV antifreeze in sinks, toilet bowls, holding tanks and turbs to avoid freezing pipes and fixtures
- Wash both sides of leaves on house plants
- Chance HVAC filter, but leave system off until a trained professional can check the system
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers to sstop particles of soot from getting in or out of the HVAC system
- Attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting SERVPRO of Tacoma
- Attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture without first consulting SERVPRO of Tacoma
- Attempt to clean any electrical appliances (TV sets, radios, etc.) that may have been close to fire, heat or water without first consulting an authorized repair service.
- Consume any food or beverage that may have been stored close to fire, heat or water (they may be contaminated)
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. Wiring may be wet or damaged and cause electrical shock and air movement may create secondary damage.
- Send garments to the dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set in smoke odor.
When fire damage takes control of your life, SERVPRO of Tacoma will help you take it back. Call us at 253-896-3000 for your fire damage needs.