Contaminated Water Damage DOs and DON'Ts
Any water damage is disruptive, especially when the water contains potentially harmful bacteria that can affect the health of your family and the value of your home. Toilet overflows, sewage backups, and other dark water intrusions are more than nasty, smelly messes; these biohazardous damages also introduce harmful microorganisms into a home. As a homeowner, knowing what to do in the case of contaminated water damage in your home may be foreign to you. These emergency tips will assist you in taking the proper action until SERVPRO of Tacoma arrives. Please follow these DOs and DON’Ts to help reduce damage and increase the chances of a successful restoration.
- Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated by sewage.
- Wash your hands thoroughly after contact with contaminated items.
- Spread contaminated water by walking unnecessarily on damaged or wet areas.
- Turn on the HVAC system if there is a possibility of spreading contaminated air.
- Use household fans to dry affected materials and spread contaminants.
- Use products for personal hygiene and cleanliness if exposed to the contaminated areas.
About SERVPRO of Tacoma
SERVPRO of Tacoma specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
If you find your business in need of water or fire restoration, please call the professionals at SERVPRO of Tacoma.