Stroms Can Lead to Water Damage
SERVPRO is prepared for storms when you're not!
At the point when we get a call to help with flood damage, we can never be certain how serious it is until we show up to assess the circumstances. Various levels of rising waters influence the restoration techniques that we use. We search for the following indications of destruction to decide how broad the issue is. A predictable marker of most extreme flood damage is the existence of standing water. At the point when water stays in your home, and does not drain, it can start to cause costly and lasting harms to the structure. The water will almost immediately seep into flooring, but there are other forms of damage that may result if the issue is not addressed promptly.
We always anticipate that ground surface materials will be drenched because of flood damage, yet when the walls of your home have suffered critical harm, this might be an indication of extra issues that require an increasingly intensive examination to find and eliminate. Some of the time, when water pours in quickly and later subsides, it can leave dampness in the walls. This can lead to mold growth and misshapen materials. SERVPRO professionals utilize the latest techniques and specialized equipment to remove the moisture.
Despite the fact that the outside of your home may be considerably more impervious to the impacts of flood damage than inside spaces, it can still take on water. This can lead to roof leaks, flooded basements, and weaknesses in siding. We can help with identifying these issues, as well as remediating the damage that has been caused by the flood waters.
Call us if any standing water is present in your home or business. SERVPRO of Tacoma can assist you with recovering from flood damage.
Common Causes of Water Damage
Prevent appliance leaks before they happen.
What are the Causes of Water Damage?
Water damage comes in many shapes and sizes; some that are easy to identify and others that are not. Knowing the common causes of water damage can help to prevent future damages to your home. The earlier you can identify water damage, the less time and money will have to be spent by you.
Leaking or Burst Pipes
Leaking or burst pipes are common causes of water damage. These issues can come from changes in water pressure, temperature changes, or the deterioration of old pipes. Uninsulated pipes are vulnerable in the Winter because they can freeze and burst.
These kind of water damage issues can be hard to detect until there is clear water damage on your walls or ceilings since pipes and hoses are usually hidden within walls. Keep an eye out on your water bill and periodically check for leaks under sinks, toilets, and around showers to find possible plumbing issues that can cause water damage.
Old or Worn Household Appliances
Did you know the average washing machine supply hose fails after just 8.7 years, and 75% of water heaters fail within 12 years? In order to prevent from cracks leading to leaks, appliance hoses should be replaced when you can see any sort of wear. This includes any other appliances that have water hookups, like refrigerators with ice makers.
Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning units are also a common cause of water damage. When not maintained, moisture can build up creating water damage and an environment for mold and mildew to grow and spread around your home.
Clogs in drain lines or heavy rains can lead to sewage backup through floor drains, toilets, and sinks. It is absolutely necessary that this type of damage is handled by water damage specialists to correctly decontaminate, sanitize, and restore rooms affected by sewage water.
Now that you know several major causes of water damage in homes and businesses, you can prevent unmitigated damages to your home. But, if disaster strikes, call SERVPRO of Tacoma with any water damage issues.
No job is too big – we have the experience and resources necessary to restore your home to pre-damage conditions!
We’re open 24/7 and waiting for your call. 253-896.3000
Water Mitigation Equipment
Centrifugal Air Movers
AXIAL AIR MOVERS
Axial air movers are the most common “fan”. The first electric fans were axial designs based on the look and effect of windmills. They are called axial air movers because of the direction the airflow they create. Blades move around an axis, and the air moves out of the fan in the same direction.
Air volume from an axial air mover is high, while the pressure is low. Each axial air mover requires little in the way of power input, so they are highly energy efficient.
Axial air movers are often used in general-purpose use given their high-volume, low-pressure nature. This makes them great for providing comfort in workspaces and for cooling technology in tight spaces, such as servers or computers. Axial air movers are not as adept at drying or air conditioning given their low pressure, so they find less use in large water damage restoration projects.
CENTRIFUGAL AIR MOVERS
Centrifugal air movers are often referred to as blowers. They enhance an incoming airstream by the use of a fan wheel. They create a high-pressure airflow by leading the stream of air through a series of tubes and ducts. Centrifugal air movers create a steadier flow of air.
You typically find centrifugal fans in situations that require high pressure drying applications. The one drawback of choosing centrifugal fans is that they are too powerful and high-pressured for use in areas that require more modulated flow.
Think about spaces where computers need cooling or spaces where humans need airflow for comfort. In these situations, a centrifugal fan may be too much.
SERVPRO of Tacoma may use one type of air mover on a drying job or a combination depending on the situation.
Water Categories & Why they're so Important
Know your Water!
Did you know that the water in your home due to busted pipes or leaks belongs to a “category”? When it comes to handling mitigation in your home, it is better to allow the professionals at SERVPRO of Tacoma to handle the emergency. Each category of water is unique in the way it can affect your home and in the way that it needs to be taken care of.
The information below breaks down the main categories of water and how to quickly identify if water is found in your home.
Category One: Clear Water
Clear water is the cleanest, most non-toxic form of water damage. It is potable water, perhaps directly from the tap. It is unlikely to cause you any harm, even if you are exposed for some time. Nevertheless, even clean flooding can lead to electrical and structural faults, so it is safer for you to call in the experts for repairs. Clean water comes from things like a broken water supply line, tub or sinks overflow with no contaminants, appliance malfunctions involving water-supply lines to name a few. However, once clean water leaves the exit point, it might not remain clean after contacting other surfaces or materials. Although it is considered the "safest" of the categories, it can degrade to category 2 or 3 if left untreated.
Category Two: Gray Water
Gray water damage is a little bit more serious and requires a speedier removal process. This is because it may contain potentially unsafe levels of chemicals, microorganisms, or dirt. Examples of Category 2 water include, but are not limited to; overflow from dishwashers or washing machines; overflows from toilet bowls with urine; seepage due to hydrostatic pressure and broken aquariums.
If left untreated, it can quickly degrade into category 3.
Category Three: Black Water
Category 3 water is grossly contaminated and can contain pathogenic, toxigenic or other harmful agents. Cat 3 water can include, but are not limited to: sewage; toilet backflows from beyond the trap; flooding from seawater, rivers or streams, ground surface water, or other contaminated water entering the indoor environment.
The team at SERVPRO of Tacoma is skilled in the safe handling of the different categories through training and protective clothing to eliminate the risk of sickness. 253.896.3000
Flattening the curve one job at a time
If you want to have your home or workplace sanitized thoroughly, call SERVPRO of Tacoma!
As many states begin to reopen, we all have feelings of uncertainty going into spaces we used to not think twice about. The grocery store, a coffee shop, your own work desk are all spaces that we used to frequent. At SERVPRO of Tacoma we are offering our disinfectant services to places of businesses, so employees and customers feel safe in your place of business. In Washington, we have a responsibility to take care of our fellow neighbors.
Practicing preventative cleaning for reopening is essential. When SERVPRO of Tacoma enters your home or business, we are able to disinfect your entire area with EPA approved products. As we look toward the reopening date, we want to ensure your business is prepared to act and your home is sanitized to guarantee safety.
We are providing disinfecting services for COVID-19 as well as general detailed cleanings for unoccupied homes collecting dust.
Our Disinfectant services include:
- Through cleaning of effected areas with disinfectants approved by the EPA
- Approved Hospital Grade disinfectant. Our cleaners are usable on any surface and is safe.
- Surface wiping of critical contact areas. Fixtures, keyboards, phones, door handles, certain contents within the affected area are hand wiped. A 5-10 minute dwell time should be allowed post wipe down. Walls up to a height of approximately 5’ throughout traffic areas.
- Technicians will always wear masks and gloves. If needed, overalls will also be worn.
Since many homes and offices have been vacant for some time, we also offer a detailed floor to ceiling deep cleaning, from base molding to crown molding including: content manipulation, carpets and upholstered furniture if needed. We will clean every square foot leaving your home or office in the highest condition.
SERVPRO of Tacoma is dedicated to help flatten the curve and insure your safety so you can spend more time focusing on the important things in life. If you have any questions, feel free to call us here at SERVPRO of Tacoma, 253-896-3000.
Candle safety tips to prevent fires
Two SERVPRO employees removing smoke residue from a home
Us here at SERVPRO of Tacoma have complied a list of important tips to help you understand how dangerous candles can be and how to use the safely.
- 38% of home candle fires start in bedrooms and cause 35% of associated deaths.
- More than 50% of all candle home fires start because the candle was too close to a a flammable item (I.E. mattresses, bedding, curtains, cabinetry, or furniture are ignited).
- In 12% of home candle fires and in 25% of associated deaths and injuries, the household occupants were asleep when the fire occurred.
- Unsupervised children are involved in 20% of home candle fires.
- Having a working smoke alarm reduces one’s chances of dying in a fire by nearly 50%.
- 11% of home fires are caused by falling asleep while a candle is lit
- 58% of home fires started when something flammable was too close to the lit candle
- 36% of home fires start in the bedroom
- Remember that lit candles are fire. Keep them at least 12 inches from anything that can burn, such as curtains, bedding, mattresses, paper, books, flammable decorations, clothing, and upholstered furniture.
- Never leave a room or go to sleep before blowing out all lit candles.
- Use candle holders that are sturdy and won’t tip over easily. Candle holders that are made from a material that cannot burn, and are large enough to collect dripping wax would also be a good idea.
- Place candles where they cannot be reached or knocked over by pets or children.
- During an emergency, always use flashlights instead of candles as light sources.
- Never leave a child unattended in a room with a candle. Additionally, keep all matches and lighters out of reach of children.
- Keep all lit candles and any other open flames away from flammable liquids.
In the worse case scenario of a home fire, SERVPRO of Tacoma is here to help. We can clean your content and home, demo effected areas and eliminate smoke odor from your home. Feel free to call us at 253-896-3000 for more information!
A Higher Standard of Clean—Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned
As our communities re-open, we’re all moving back toward a new kind of normal. The expectations of visitors, customers, and employees who come into our establishments have evolved, and staying safe and well is a top concern. The global COVID-19 pandemic has changed what it means to be clean, and we’ve developed a program to help your business meet the new higher standard of clean that is now expected.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned is a defensive cleaning program we’re offering to businesses and commercial locations to address the current COVID-19 pandemic. This proactive viral pathogen cleaning program goes well beyond janitorial or carpet cleaning. By choosing Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you, your employees, your customers, and your community can rest assured that you’ve selected a higher cleaning standard – you are Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned.
Extensive training and specialized products
As the #1 choice in cleanup and restoration*, we stand on more than 50 years of experience and expertise to help your business become Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned. Beyond fire & water, SERVPRO professionals are trained and experienced in biohazard decontamination and chemical spills – always adhering to the cleaning and decontamination standards set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local authorities.
From formulating and creating our proprietary cleaning products, like SERVPROXIDE, at our headquarters in Gallatin, TN, to taking the utmost care while disinfecting, we will ensure you and your business are set up to inspire consumer confidence as the economy continues to reopen.
3 C’s – Consult, Clean, and Certify
When the stakes are this high, you want a partner who has developed an industry leading, proprietary training program, cleaning solutions, and remediation processes over decades. We’ve cleaned up some of the most challenging biohazards imaginable. Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned reflects our unique experiences and capabilities. The program is grounded with our unique 3 C’s: Consult, Clean, and Certify.
- Consult – Every business is different, which is why you’ll be assigned a Cleaning Protocol Consultant who understands your business and will create a cleaning program to meet your specific needs. This program will be developed based on your business type, size of space, amount of high frequency touchpoints, foot traffic and congestion points.
- Clean – Based on your specific business needs, your location will undergo a thorough, deep clean, using exclusive cleaning products, according to protocols set forth by the CDC. Our employees have years of experience, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform. Cleanup procedures generally include cleaning of porous and non-porous surfaces, disinfecting of non-porous surfaces, cleaning and disinfecting of equipment, tools, and/or supplies used for cleanup process, and disposal of hazardous materials. In the event of a suspected or confirmed COVID-19 event, we will be there cleaning within 24 hours to ensure you get back to business as quickly as possible.
- Certify - Once your business location has been Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you will gain access to proprietary signage, digital emblems, and other collateral that communicates that you’ve selected a higher standard of clean available to help protect your employees and customers. And because we add the day, month, and year to that proprietary stamp of clean, your guests will know that not only did you choose Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, but that your location is being cleaned regularly at this standard.
Call today for a Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation
SERVPRO of Tacoma (253) 896-3000
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned means professionally trained SERVPRO franchises perform the requested cleaning, sanitizing and disinfection services according to proprietary SERVPRO protocols and recognized industry and CDC standards with EPA approved cleaning products to deliver a SERVPRO certified cleaning experience. Each SERVPRO franchise is independently owned and operated.
Fire and Your Belongings
When fire strikes in your home, only SERVPRO of UP/LW strikes faster!
When SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West responds to a house fire, we explain our processes and let you know what we are doing and how long it will take to get their house cleaned and back to normal, every step of the way.
But what about your belongings? Really anything that you own, here at SERVPRO of UP/LW we are totally equipped and capable of cleaning it and making it look "Like it never even happened." From electronics to leathers, from pictures to a motorcycle, we have seen literally everything there is to clean, and we have probably cleaned it.
With years of experience and thousands of jobs, properly restoring your families' belongings will be forefront in our minds and our mission. We thoroughly inspect each item to determine the damage. If it is determined to be salvageable, we will identify the type of cleaning and deodorization method to utilize. With each step of the process thoroughly documented with pictures, diligent notes, or both, we treat your belongings like they were ours, and it shows in our attention and care.
SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West has served thousands of families in your community, which is no wonder we are the most trusted restoration company in the area! Call us at (253)-896-3000 to learn more about how we make it "Like it never even happened."
What you should and should NOT do in the event of a water damage
Make sure you know what to do if this happens to you!
These DO's and DON'TS Emergency Tips for water damage will assist you in taking quick proper action to help you reduce damage and increase the chances of successful restoration before help arrives.
- Shut off the source of water if possible or contact a qualified party to stop the water source.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building when access to the power distribution panel is safe from electrical shock.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Enter rooms with standing water where electrical shock hazards may occur.
- Enter affected areas if electrical outlets, switches, circuit breakers or electrical equipment are exposed to water. Always avoid electrical shock hazards.
- Leave books, newspapers, magazines or other colored items on wet carpets or floors as this may cause staining.
Contaminated Water-Gray, Black or Sewage
- Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated by sewage.
- Wash your hands thoroughly after contact with contaminated items.
- Spread contaminated water by walking unnecessarily on damaged or wet areas.
- Turn on the HVAC system if there is a possibility of spreading contaminated air.
- Use household fans to dry the structure and spread contaminants.
- Use products for personal hygiene and cleanliness if exposed to the contaminated area.
In the event of a flood, make sure to call SERVPRO of Tacoma to restore your home or business back to normal. Contact us at 253-896-3000.
The SERVPRO Advantage
Theres no one better then SERVPRO!
Since its founding in 1967 SERVPRO has expanded to over 1,700 locations across the United States and Canada. Since then, SERVPRO has also greatly expanded the array of services we offer. Since those services range from carpet cleaning and deodorization to large scale disaster recovery and with SERVPRO’s 1,700+ locations our collective knowledge and experience are one of the greatest assets SERVPRO has and we know how to use it. SERVPRO locations provide all kinds of support to each other ranging from equipment to people-power and technical advice. Sometimes we might run into an issue that we have not encountered before or possibly elements to a job that prevents our normal methods for jobs. This is when we have been able to rely on the knowledge base which our corporate office and other SERVPRO’s have accumulated. It does not matter what emergency you are facing. From Water Mitigation, Fire Restoration, or Mold Remediation. SERVPRO has the team and backing to handle it all. We are known for taking care of big problems and disasters, but we also are adept at helping people with issues you normally may not know the solution too. If you have an emergency which makes you think “I don’t even know who does this”, try giving us a call at 253-896-3000.