We have the right equipment for your water damage.
Many disasters can take place inside your home or business when you least expect it. If a disaster were to happen, luckily SERVPRO of Tacoma is always ready for whatever happens. When it comes to water damage, our trained technicians have an array of specialized equipment to bring your Tacoma home back to preloss conditions. At SERVPRO of Tacoma, we use the specialized equipment to help speed up the extraction and drying process. SERVPRO of Tacoma is fully equipped with the following tools to restore any home and make it feel “Like it never even happened.”
- Extractors are used to provide sufficient water removal in your Tacoma home. There are several different types of extractors to use such as Truck-Mounted, Light Wands, or Stationary tools. Factors in each situation such as depth of water and available power will give the technicians a better idea of what to use.
- Dehumidifiers are used to remove water vapor from the air. This reduces the amount of water vapor in the air which lowers the humidity ratio. This is important because lower humidity increases the rate of evaporation of moisture.
- Air Movers are used in water damage restoration to enhance evaporation at the surface level and reduce drying time.
- Moisture Sensors are used to detect moisture in your Tacoma home’s carpets and paddings. This tool has sharp probes that penetrate through carpets and padding to determine if water has migrated on the subflooring. If there is moisture, the sensor will provide both blinking and beeping as a signal. The greater the amount of moisture, the faster the lights and beeping will become.
- Moisture Meters are utilized to measure the actual content or levels of various materials. This tool can be penetrative and non-penetrative depending on what needs to be measured. For example, penetrative meters will be used on carpet while non-penetrative meters will be used on drywall.
SERVPRO of Tacoma is a recognized Institution of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) firm. Every technician for SERVPRO of Tacoma is certified and knows how to utilize our unique tools to bring your home back to preloss conditions. We are a 24-hour service and are here to help you with any water damage needs you face in your Tacoma home. If you need to schedule service, please contact our office: (253) 896-3000.
Certified experts in Water and Fire Restoration
SERVPRO® of Tacoma has been an IICRC certified firm for the past several years. And for nearly five decades, The Institution of Inspection, Cleaning, and Restoration Certification stands at the forefront teaching trailblazing knowledge required to tackle complex jobs and return normalcy from chaotic environments. They provide the most comprehensive and advanced technical information in the industry. They allow companies like SERVPRO of Tacoma to advance their education and stay ahead of the competition with several IICRC certification options:
- Applied Structural Drying Technician (ASD) is a course designed to teach the effective, efficient, and timely drying of water-damaged structures and contents. It uses comprehensive classroom and hands-on training, in order to facilitate appropriate decision making within a restorative drying environment.
- Carpet Cleaning Technician (CCT) is a course to teach the art and science of carpet cleaning to professional service providers, as well as others in the related industry. Emphasis is placed on the following: practical application, identifying fiber, carpet constructions, style types and finishes, soiling conditions, cleaning science and methodology. This course also covers pre-inspection, basic cleaning chemicals and equipment, and proper cleaning technique.
- Commercial Drying Specialist (CDS) is a course to teach damage inspection and evaluation, workflow management, and process administration. The course also teaches the technical methods of effective and timely drying.
- Fire and Smoke Restoration Technician (FSRT) is a course with a concentration on technical procedure for successfully completing the restoration of a fire and smoke damaged environment. Students will learn how to combine technical procedures with practical approach to managing the job site. These concepts will then teach the students how pricing of the job is created.
- Trauma and Crime Scene Technician (TCST) is a course designed to review the process for inspecting and investigating crime and trauma scenes. This may involve blood and other potentially infectious material. The course will focus on the procedures to follow as well as the precautions that must be taken in such an environment.
- Water Damage Restoration Technician (WRT) is designed to teach restoration personnel that perform remediation work to give them a better concept of water damage, effects, and techniques for drying of structures. This course gives the background to understand the procedures necessary to deal with water losses, sewer backflows, and contamination such as mold.
If your Tacoma home or business is faced with a disaster such as a flood or fire, we are the certified experts who have been properly trained to know exactly what to do. Let SERVPRO of Tacoma apply quality solutions to any type of damage you experienced. We are the 24-hour emergency service and can quickly respond whenever the service is needed. To contact our office for service or any questions call (253) 896-3000.
SERVPROXIDE Disinfects and Sanitizes!
One of our products SERVPROXIDETM is our proprietary hospital-grade disinfectant registered with the EPA. It is a stabilized chlorine dioxide-based antimicrobial which carries the EPA’s lowest toxicity rating. The product itself doesn’t carry any fragrances other than a mild cleaning odor which dissipates quickly making it a great product for people with chemical or odor sensitivities. There are many different applications for SERVPROXIDETM. It can eliminate odors through disinfecting and oxidation rather than just covering them up. That can be done by applying the product directly with towels or through misting or spraying which is often used when we clean HVAC systems. It has even been utilized in electrostatic spraying for an even application on surfaces inside buildings. In fact, SERVPROXIDETM is the disinfectant we have used when we have been asked to clean and disinfect COVID-19 in homes and businesses here in Wichita. The CDC recommends the usage of a labeled hospital-grade disinfectant with claims against similar types of organisms to COVID-19 and SERVPROXIDE has EPA-approved claims against things like Feline coronavirus, Canine coronavirus, staphylococcus, E.coli, Salmonella, Rotavirus, and Swine flu. When you use SERVPRO, you can have rest at ease knowing that our team is using hospital-grade disinfectant registered with the EPA. Our chemists are even able to advise us in unorthodox situations to utilize our suite of cleaning products to clean and deodorize even the strongest and strangest combination of smells and soils.
Should you file a Water Damage claim?
As you know, acting quickly when you spot water damage is essential. However, you might be wondering if you should file an insurance claim or pay for the damages yourself. “It was just a little water,” is a subjective thought. No matter the amount of water, it is always in your best interest to have a professional company assess the property. There are two reasons for this. The first being that you might not always see the extent of damage that has occurred. While you might have mopped up and removed the excess water from your kitchen floors, that doesn’t mean that water hasn’t already traveled underneath your flooring or into other areas such as your cabinets or walls. If those areas are not properly dried and remediated then down the line you might face problems such as mold and rot. If you did not act fast and delayed maintenance and cleanup, then your insurance company might find you to be negligent and there is a risk that the claim will not be covered. Most insurance policies will cover water damage that is sudden and accidental. In most circumstances, homeowners’ policies exclude losses that are considered to be continuous and took place over an extended period of time. Examples of this include a leaking water line or leaving wet carpet and baseboard unattended to the point of mold or rot.
Before filing a claim, if you are unsure if the damage will exceed your deductible, you will want to ask us to come out and assess the property. Our project managers will be able to consult with you and let you know the best course of action going forward. If you do have to file a claim, then it helps to strengthen your case if the insurance company knows that a SERVPRO professional has already been on site. In the event of a covered loss, insurance adjusters are grateful that SERVPRO is on the scene quickly to prevent further damage. We will also be an advocate for you to ensure that your property is restored to a preloss condition.
What to Know Before Filing a Claim
- What Perils Are Covered in Your Policy?
This will be important depending on the source of the loss. If you took the less expensive policy you may not have sewer backup as a rider on your policy and may not be covered in that case. So, knowing what is and is not covered is important. If you are not aware of the source of the loss, there is no need to fret. SERVPRO of Tacoma professional technicians have state of the art technology and training to determine the cause of a loss.
- What is Your Deductible?
It is practical that you may not want to file a claim if the cost of mitigation and restoration is less than double your deductible. Insurance is there to protect you from major losses and your deductible represents the amount of risk you’re willing to take. We will work with you to treat the damage whether you chose to go through insurance or not. Our commitment is to ensure that this is your only out of pocket expense to return the property to a preloss condition.
This is just another reason to quickly call SERVPRO of Tacoma to handle your water damage. Whether it is covered or not we can help with water damage.
If you find water damage in your home call SERVPRO of Tacoma today (253) 896-3000
Stove top fire prevention
A stove fire caused by grease.
There are some interesting things to keep in mind if your cooking catches fire. In most cases this happens when the oil you are heating up gets too hot.
What you should do if this happens
- Fire reacts more to oxygen once started. If you remove the oxygen by putting a lid or cookie sheet over the pot this will help stop the fire. It may take a few minutes, but this one huge step to stop a fire.
- You can also use baking soda or salt to put out the fire. Never use flour this will expand and make the fire worse. Also those who have a fire extinguisher you can use that as well.
- Turn off the heat, then move the pan to a cool burner.
- Call 911, if you can not get the fire under control.
What you NEVER should do
- Do not throw water on the pot! If you throw water on the stove this will cause an expansion of the fire.
- Do not move the pot either. By moving the pot you could cause burns to yourself, those around you or spread the fire.
For your fire clean up call SERVPRO of Tacoma, we will make it "Like it never even happened." We specialize in all your textile cleaning, as well as structural cleaning.
Spring forward with replacing your smoke detector batteries
Replacing the batteries in the smoke detector could save your life!
To help ensure you make it out safely, the fire department recommends you change the batteries in your smoke detectors twice a year. Since we just sprung forward now would be a perfect time to replace those batteries! This is one of the most ignored when it comes to home maintenance, when you think spring forward and fall back this would be the perfect time to put theses chores on your list to do! This will ensure you and your family make it out safely if there was a fire.
Rechargeable batteries in your smoke detector are a no, here are some reasons why:
Rechargeable batteries die quickly
Rechargeable batteries often experience a sudden discharge. The batteries don't allow the detector to sound off the low power chirp that notifies you when they need to be changed. Stick to regular batteries.
Replace the whole smoke detector every 10 years.
Let SERVPRO service all your needs.
Did you know SERVPRO doesn't only help in a disaster?
Spring cleaning is on the rise! Its time to clean those areas you look past most of the time. Tackle those big projects first, like the garage that always seems to pile up. Don't be a hoarder, get rid of the junk and keep the keepsakes. Don't just get rid of those unwanted items, might be time for a yard sale. Never know what you might make a few bucks on. Always start top to bottom when cleaning, that way the dust/particles that are falling aren't falling on to the area you already cleaned. If you get overwhelmed call SERVPRO of Tacoma.
We do cleaning for biohazard, carpet cleaning, hoarding, mold, remodeling etc. We are here for all your needs. Open 24/7 to ensure you are taken care of.
Call us for your spring cleaning needs at 253-896-3000. SERVPRO of Tacoma is here for you.
Winter Is Near
It’s that time again, the time most of us are not looking forward to: WINTER! With it being right around the corner (December 21, 2020 to be exact) you still have time to prepare and protect your business from anything winter may bring with it. With cold weather and winter storms you never know that could happen. Here’s a few important things you can do to protect yourself and your business.
-Check your ceiling and roof for anything out of the ordinary. Look for loose shingles or any tree branches hanging around that could cause damage and make potential leaks. Look around inside at the ceiling for any water rings or any wood bowing. If you see any damage make sure to immediately get it repaired.
-Cold months are ahead with temperatures reaching below freezing (32 Degrees) with that coming you want to make sure to winterize all pipes exposed to cold air. You may ask “Why do I need to do that?” Well when water reaches freezing temperatures, it starts to expand. In a confined space like a pipe it will cause the pipe to break. With the proper insulation you could save your business from any flooding and any major repairs.
-Clean and sanitize all surfaces. With this pandemic going on the Coronavirus (Covid-19) can take a huge toll on your business if you don’t take the proper precautions. Disinfect all surfaces using professional cleaning products. You can depend on SERVPRO of Tacoma to use EPA-registered cleaning products to clean and sanitize your business to prevent the spread of germs.
From all of us here at SERVPRO of Tacoma we understand how important your business is. That’s why with our specialized equipment and our highly experienced Technicians, we are ready 24 hours and day, 7 days a week to serve you and your business.
Get Familiar with your Flood Insurance Policy
Be prepared for Storm Damage
Flood insurance is something that is very important to have if you live in an area that is susceptible to water-related storm damage. But this type of policy does not cover everything.
Look over your individual policy to find out exactly where you are and are not covered. Learn what type of damage is not covered by most flood insurance policies below.
Some homeowners believe that all water damage is covered. but this is not the case . Flood damage only covers water damage that is a result of external sources like excess rainwater or a hurricane. If a pipe bursts and causes a “flood” in your basement, this will not be covered.
Another common misconception is that because your pool is outside your home, it will be covered. If a crack in the liner causes the water to drain into your home, this will also not be covered.
While you may be covered for water that is a result of a storm, any residual effects will be your responsibility. For instance, your policy should cover extraction of excess rainwater. But if moisture remains, which leads to mold, your flood insurance will not cover this.
A flood in your home may force you to relocate until the remediation process is completed. Living expenses, such as hotels and food during this time period will not be covered by your flood policy.
As mentioned above, look at your flood insurance policy to find the limitations so that you are not surprised in the event of flood damage. If you do sustain storm-related flood damage, call SERVPRO of Tacoma! 253.896.3000
Tips for Preventing Storm Damage in your Apartment Community
In the unfortunate event that storm and water damage does affect your community, call contact SERVPRO® of Tacoma at (253) 896-3000.
We can never know when an emergency situation will occur, but it’s in your best interest as a property manager, as well as in the best interest of your residents, to always be ahead of the game. Take these measures today to prevent storm and water damage tomorrow.
- Check On Aging Appliances Regularly– If the property you manage includes a fridge, dishwasher, and/or washer/dryer in unit, you should closely monitor the age of the appliances as well as routinely checking them for cracked or damaged hoses or connections. Washer hoses should be replaced about every five years. It’s a good idea to replace washers and dryers before there’s a problem. It may cost more money now, but it could save you a lot of money and a headache or two in the future.
- Repair Old or Damaged Roofs When It’s Dry – Don’t wait for a big rain storm to find out that the roofing at your unit(s) needs replacing. Make routine checkups to monitor the condition of the roof(s) at your property. Make time and room in the budget to make any replacements or upgrades necessary during the dry season so that you can avoid water damage in the wet season.
- Stay in Touch with Your Residents and Know When they’re Traveling – Many people go on vacations during the summer. Talk to your residents about having their water shut off while they’re gone or, alternatively, having someone check on their apartment from time to time while they’re gone. If a water leak occurs while they’re away and no one is checking in, a small problem could potentially turn into something much worse.
- Clear Downspouts Consistently – This is especially important if there are a lot of large trees throughout your apartment community. When leaves, branches, and other debris clog the gutters, the risk of flooding is increased. Clear all debris from the gutters frequently. If you know a storm is about to hit, make sure everything is clear and that water is being effectively carried away from the building.
- Apply Dry-Proofing Methods – One cost effective way to prevent large scale water damage in low-lying areas is to apply waterproofing coatings and sealings. You can also elevate electrical equipment at least three feet off of the floor and install waterproof structures around circuits and electrical breakers.
- Check For HVAC System Blockages –If the line that moves condensation from the HVAC system is backed up, it can create serious water damage. Backed up water can seep through ceilings and through light fixtures or in between walls. When water leaks between walls, it can go undetected and result in mold damage in addition to water damage.
In the unfortunate event that storm and water damage does affect your community, call contact SERVPRO® of Tacoma at (253) 896-3000.